Monday, April 27, 2009

Another weekend. Another race.

I learned a lot when I was in eighth grade. Learned stuff that you don't care about when you're in eighth grade. Stuff like how actions have consequences, how to concentrate, how to solve a problem without someone telling you how...
I learned to not have to know what was going to happen next. Whether he didn't know, or just didn't want to tell us, we never knew what we were going to do next. I've been appreciating that skill lately. Chris tells us just enough information to get by. We usually know what time we're leaving, we may know what we're going to be doing. But be sure to bring enough food, because you may be gone for awhile.

All I knew about the race on Sunday was that it was a crit. Crits in Europe? Yes, when I saw the course, I realized they DO have crits in Europe, but they're 70K, 40 some laps, with a big hill, and downhill 180 turns. And only when it's cold and raining. It was a more local race, smaller field, with maybe 45 starters. We pushed the pace from lap 1. Lap 3, Devon (USA), Megan Garnier (Proman in USA, currently on French team)and one other girl get a gap. Lap 4-40, Sinead, Alison and I take turns covering attacks. CONTINUAL attacks! On the local scene in the US, if a break gets a sizable gap, there will be bridge attempts for awhile, but eventually people will give up. These girls do NOT give up! We did a good job rotating who was going to cover the attack, and at ten to go, I was getting tired of covering attacks from the same girls on the same part of the course. But at least we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a downer when you look at lap cards and see 31 to go. 4 to go, Chris tells us we're free to attack now. 3 to go, Alison attacks, 2 to go, I attack. The 180 turn is pretty close to the finish, so Sinead and her wicked BMX skills would do better without Alison or I trying to lead her through the corner. Alison went with 1 to go. If she got brought back, Sinead could take the sprint. Alison held the gap, Sinead took the sprint, I came in on her wheel. We got 1,3,4,5. Good day for the team.

I'm leaving tomorrow for Belgium to race with the National team in Luxembourg on Friday. Fortunately it will be in a plane instead of in a Eurovan. Luxury!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie! What a beautiful place to be. I am so enjoying this with you! All of us in Oklahoma, Illinois, Arizona and Georgia are following you. Be safe and have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete