Thursday, April 23, 2009

I don't know how I got so lucky to be able to race in Europe, but I'm such a lucky kid!
Every morning around seven o'clock, I wake up to construction on our street. The construction workers don't seem to be accomplishing much, just making noise in the street from about 7 to 10. I'm pretty sure the only thing they know how to say in English is "how are you." And they say it ridiculously exaggerated. "How are YOU?" Just keep walking...just keep walking...

When Chris isn't driving us all over Europe, he runs a hotel in Limoux. It's a really cool deal. For about 10 months of the year, he and his wife have a group of either cyclists or artists. Every week switches between the two groups. I'm not sure everything he does with his guests, but basically, he takes the artists to places throughout France to paint and takes the cyclists on some of the most amazing rides EVER. The cyclists go and do some of the Tour climbs in the Alps or Pyrenees and also some of the local riding. Every Thursday, Chris takes the guests to a small restaurant that is about an hour drive. Towards the Pyrenees (South towards Spain). There are so many different kinds of terrain close to here. In one ride (albiet a long ride), you'll go through what looks like wine country, then aspen trees, pine trees, farm lands...
Today was a little bit more laid back, enjoy the scenery ride. Of course I ALWAYS enjoy the scenery, but it's nice to be able to do it at a little lower heart rate ;) We started in the town of Bugarch* and did a loop with lots of climbing, descending, wind, French villages, Pyrenees in the background, narrow roads with NO cars and perfect pavement. I really don't think it gets much better than that. We even got to have a shower before dinner! That may not seem that fantastic to some, but for those of you who have sat in a car un-showered for three hours after a race, I'm sure you can appreciate that. We met Chris's Artists and had some "non-traditional" food for dinner. I won't go into too much detail on that, but I'll put a picture up of the leg of lamb roasting on the fire.

I felt really good on the bike today, especially after a long hard day yesterday. Tomorrow we're headed to the track. This will be fun. I seem to have been endowed with skills to ride a road bike only. It takes a lot of concentration for me to keep a cruiser bike upright, so a track bike will provide some good laughs.
Pictures coming...

*About the name of the town...I'm not REALLY sure Bugarch is the name of the town. It's something like that, that starts with a "B". So if you try to google Bugarch, don't expect to find too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment