Wednesday, April 22, 2009




I hear it's great weather in California. I'm losing my California tan and cleaning grime off my bike. But since I'm lucky enough to be here, I won't complain too much about the weather!

In France, there are specialty shops for everything. You cannot go to the coffee shop and get a pastry. There is a coffee shop. There is a bakery. A butcher, flower shop, produce market. There are probably 15 bakeries in Limoux (this is a pretty small place) and Jerika and Devon have visited every single one. And they know what is the best in every bakery. I have been to one bakery and I got a baggette. I need to immerse myself in the culture more and maybe go for a croissant.
I haven't visited the butcher, and probably will NOT be visiting the butcher. Apparently, he is a really nice guy, but there are also skinned rabbits staring at you.

We did sprinting drills on Monday (a very wet and cold Monday). Chris met us at the house and talked a little then we chose teams. Yes, we chose teams. I felt like I was in second grade. Chris was always the shortest when he was growing up, and the last to be "picked". So, since I'm the shortest, he let me pick first. It was tough...this is WAY more important than the kickball game in second grade ;)
This drill further solidified the fact that I need to work on my jump. From the races I've done, I noticed that when they attack in Europe, they MEAN IT. I tend to not jump hard enough and tow the field.

It was "ten hills" day again today! And I'm worn out! Chris has mentioned several times that this is the ride to train for Fleche Wallone. Hill #10 is a wall(like the finish of Fleche Wallone) that is less than a five minute effort. But it definitely hurts after a four hour ride! The great thing about this ride is that all the hills are close together. It's no more than twenty minute recovery in between climbs, then you're to the base of another hill. I brought my camera along today...I might have been able to go a little faster up the hills without it ;)
The video on here is on hill #8...but it goes a long ways after I stopped the camera. And sorry the video is sideways. I'm doing pretty good just figuring out how to upload a video, so just work with me and turn your head sideways ;) It was a little hazy out today, so no views of the Pyrenees, but still beautiful.
Enjoy the California sunshine!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for croissants and baked goods.... I fully support your venture into this realm and expect a full report of your culinary adventures! Oh and keep up the strong riding ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, I am so glad you are blogging this. I am reading every day to see how your big adventure is going. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you are missing in CA is wind. Blow your socks off wind. The kind where you are pushing 200 watts, downhill, just to break 15 mph. Welcome to the Wente wind weekend of hell. :o)
    Enjoying your reports, kiddo. Keep 'em coming!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete